What does the future of the St Michael’s Estate look like?
Well finally as of July 2023 we can at last be confident it will look very much like the aerial impression here; our scheme for the regeneration and development of St Michael’s has just been approved for the third time by the Western area planning committee of Dorset Council.
The long list of plusses for which we have been banging the drum for 15 years has finally been accepted unanimously by councillors:
- Regeneration which ensures long term social, economic, environmental survival
- Conserving the historic rope and net making buildings that are the heart of the estate
- Creation of a riverside walk linking the town through to West Bay
- New public realm areas benefitting the community through shared spaces and walkways
- Provision of much needed open market and affordable housing in a riverside setting
- Delivery of that rare commodity: a mixed-use development on a brownfield site
- Brand new modern commercial trading units in a traditional setting
All this won’t happen overnight; we still have several planning hoops to jump through and work is not likely to start for two years but there is now clear light at the end of what has been a long, dark tunnel.
Architect’s impression courtesy of Ferguson Mann Associates